Scientist IApply Now Apply Later
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
The Scientist I has the primary responsibility for conducting research tasks coordinated by more experienced scientists and managers.
This job is located in Guangzhou R&D lab, reports to Technical Manager-Hygiene
This is a laboratory bench level position. A Scientist I will participate in technical tasks to achieve the goals and plans of the businesses for which they support.
This individual is involved in a variety of research, development and technical service activities, including:
- Conducting and analyzing experiments on organic and inorganic substances to determine and evaluate their chemical and physical properties and to investigate their applications to industry. Carrying out experiments to improve upon or to duplicate materials and substances, and engaging in research to identify new methods of processing or production.
- Appling and interpreting standard scientific theories, concepts and techniques.
- Completing basic projects independently, drawing conclusions with guidance, and reproducing and articulating results and their meaning, including business impact.
- Supporting product or process demonstrations.
- Identifying and developing solutions to problems where causal relationships can be identified and some precedence may exist.
- Documenting test results and making process improvement recommendations.
- Documenting project updates and executing projects using project management methodologies.
- Fulfilling responsibilities as required by the Quality System for the site/business unit.
- Working in a safe and efficient manner.
The Scientist I Hygiene is expected to learn and apply technical expertise to solve customer opportunities in the Hygiene and HM PSA markets. This would include but not be limited to the chemistries of thermoplastic polymers, resins, waxes and oil interactions to develop value added adhesives. In addition the Scientist I Hygiene would be expected to build an in-depth knowledge of the raw materials and manufacturing practices used to develop hot melt products. The Scientist I Hygiene would build a fundamental understanding of the equipment and dynamics used to deliver these products to the end use substrates. The Scientist I Hygiene would have a primary objective of laboratory development, production scale–up and commercial introduction of new products. He/she would be expected to work in a team efficiently and fulfill the project target milestones following the company innovation stage gate process.
Travel for product customer trials, product scale-up and laboratory meetings will require less than 5% of their time.
- Masters Degree in Polymer, Material Science, Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to complete basic projects independently
- Demonstrated ability to work on a wide range of problems where causal relationships are difficult to establish and the use of creative thinking is required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Collaborative Style and Coachable
- Ability to move quickly and with a sense of urgency
- Demonstrates proficiency in the following competencies:Individually responsible for results – Engages in activities and experiences that strengthen contribution to the organizationFocus on customers – Creates an experience for customers – delights customers by providing exceptional value and serviceDemonstrates effective self management – Seeks to understand and act upon improvement opportunities
- Demonstrates operational excellence – Continually looks for new and better ways to get things done and shows functional/technical proficiency in work
- Model collaboration and commitment – Focuses on team success before individual success
- Responsive to change – Adapts (quickly) to changing circumstances
- Knowledge and experience in thermoplastic hot melt chemistry and raw materials as they relate to the hygiene market applications.
- Understanding of static and dynamic polymer rheological
- Knowledge of the raw materials used in the development of hot melt products
- Knowledge of the manufacturing equipment and requirements to produce hot melt products.
- Knowledge of customer application methods and machinery both for the Hygiene and HM PSA markets
- Fluency in English verbally and in written form
- Developed expertise in the area of design of experiments and polymer chemistry
- Intrinsically motivated, open minded, curious and well-rounded personality
- Laboratory and application center
- Job Location
- Guangzhou, China
- Position Type