Epoxy ChemistApply Now Apply Later
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
The R&D Epoxy Chemist is responsible for the development of new products with additional duties related to making optimizations, improvements and cost-reductions to existing products and processes. This individual must apply knowledge of wide varieties of chemicals and raw materials and understand their interactions to create polymer products intended for very diverse end uses.
- Utilize raw materials knowledge and experience to develop or create novel products that fit an intended function or end-use as defined by the customer through a Technical Service Request (TSR) system.
- Test raw materials and finished products. Record and provide interpretation of results.
- Establish written product manufacturing procedures and techniques. Interface and provide guidance to manufacturing personnel.
- Establish and maintain product and raw materials Quality Control parameters and specifications. Interface and provide guidance to Quality Control personnel.
- Interface directly with sales force and/or end-user to identify product needs. Determine if existing products may be suitable or new development is required.
- Troubleshoot, modify and improve existing formulations to remedy problems or inadequacies.
- Investigate in-field product failures to determine source of problems. Recommend product or process/manufacturing improvements or alternative products as necessary.
- Prepare and test sample batches and pilot/scale-up batches for customer evaluation.
- Create written reports for completed technical service requests (TSR) as needed to include technical datasheets (TDS), or product application guides.
- Maintain accurate records of prototype formulations, their changes and applicable test results.
- Follow established ISO procedures and make recommendations for revision where needed.
- Identify potential E.H&S. concerns for current and future products and remedy whenever possible.
- Maintain clean and safe work areas with focus on continuous improvement.
This is a general job description and not intended to be all-inclusive.
Required Skills and applicable experience:
- Bachelor’s in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering minimum.
- 2 years minimum industry experience.
- Strong background and direct experience in 1k and 2k solvent-free Epoxy, Polyurethane reaction polymer product development.
- Excellent hands-on problem-solving skills.
- Prior first-hand experience with production-scale and laboratory-scale equipment.
- Very effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and handle multiple unrelated development projects at once.
- Strong work ethic. Must be able to perform all functions required of the job description, making judicious use of time and resources with minimal direct oversight.
- Familiarity with operation and maintenance of related equipment and instrumentation.
- Job Location
- South Bend, Indiana, United States
- Position Type