Research Scientist IApply Now Apply Later
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
We at H.B. Fuller embrace a shared set of beliefs and competencies that direct the way we operate and express our fundamental principles about how we will achieve success. We strive to hire talent that demonstrates our beliefs and our competencies.
A Research Scientist I of Americas Hygiene Hot Melt Lab leads R&D projects leveraging the Stage-Gate process to meet market and business needs. A Research Scientist I is expected to provide technical leadership to cross-functional business teams and lead technical teams within their area of expertise. A Research Scientist I also troubleshoots customer problems, makes product recommendations, and recommends process modifications. In this position the ability to collaborate and communicate across disciplines, functions and regions is required. A Research Scientist I coaches, mentors and guides research of technical colleagues.
Primary duties include,
- Successfully leading regional projects with significant business impact, including projects that involve the development of patentable or proprietary technology and customer-specific projects.
- Using project management discipline, design of experiment (DOE) methodologies and statistical analysis to draw conclusions and present solutions.
- Troubleshooting of customer problems.
- Acting as an internal technical expert with broad technical knowledge, recognized and sought out by peers, management and project sponsors.
- Generating, and building upon a body of intellectual property (trade secret or patent).
- Meeting research goals within time and budget constraints.
- Coaching and mentoring others in the lab, including teaching DOE and the use of statistical tools for analysis.
- Fulfilling responsibilities as required by the Quality System for the site/business unit.
- Working in a safe and efficient manner.
May supervise one or more technicians or chemists.
- Required Skills
- Bachelor degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering and 8 years of professional industry experience.
- Master degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering and 6 years of professional industry experience
- PhD. in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering and 4 years of professional industry experience.
Internal Option: 1) BS degree in Chemistry or appropriate technical degree (or current exempt Chemist) with 8-10 years professional (exempt) experience within H.B. Fuller Company, or 2) MS in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with 4-6 years of professional (exempt) experience within H.B. Fuller.
- 4+ years with hot melt formulations for hygiene applications.
- 2+ years of experience with DOE and statistical analysis.
- 2+ years of proactive interaction with commercial, sourcing, and operations partners to achieve project success.
- Demonstrated proficiency in project management, Stage-Gate, including ability to teach and mentor others.
- Recognized internal expert, with demonstrated knowledge across a wide spectrum of applications or technology.
- Skilled in thermoplastic polymer blends, compatibility and rheology as they relate to the hygiene, end of line packaging, labeling, flexible packaging, and electronics applications
- An expertise in customer application methods for the above applications.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- BENCH CHEMIST POSITION, WITH STANDING AND SITTING FOR PERIODS OF TIME
- ABILITY TO LIFT 50 LBS (5 GALLON PAILS OF CHEMICALS)
- KNOWLEDGE AND experience IN WORKING IN CHEMICAL LABORATORY AND EXPERIENCE WITH EXPOSURES ASSOCIATED WITH SUCH ACTIVITIES
- ABILITY TO TRAVEL TO CUSTOMERS AND MFG LOCATIONS
- SOME EXPOSURE TO LARGE SCALE CHEMICAL MFG WHEN SCALING UP POLYMERS
EXPOSE TO LARGE MANUFACTURING EQUIPMENT WHEN WORKING AT CUSTOMER PRODUCTION FACILITIES
H.B. Fuller is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
- Job Location
- Vadnais Heights, Minnesota, United States
- Position Type